Smoothies, with some planning, can be your guide and healthy tool for your weight management, hunger control, and an easy way to fulfill important daily nutrients as well. They are nutritious, easy, fast to make, and they are a versatile meal; great for breakfast, pre or post snack workout, dinner, and even dessert!
In less than 5 minutes you can create your custom smoothie and enjoy multiple servings of fruit, veggies, healthy fats, and more! Consider including spinach, kale, avocado, and cucumber in your recipes for vitamins, healthy fats, and be creative with the protein sources as you venture into more varieties of smoothie combinations. A few tablespoons of nut butter, yogurt, nuts, and seeds, or cottage cheese provides alternative protein and tasty consistency.
Did you know that the healthiest smoothies are made in your own blender? That’s because it puts you in control of the ingredients. What makes protein smoothies so simple is that there is a simple formula: frozen fruit/ice, a protein source such as protein powder, and a liquid. However, the sugar content is the key- Don’t forget the goal is low sugar + high protein and no additives.
Upon researching high-protein smoothies, I learned some good tips that I will share:
- Loading your blender in this order typically works best – liquid, not frozen veggies or fruits, greens if you are adding any, then the frozen fruits and veggies, and finally, the protein powder
- If you find your smoothie to be too sweet, add lemon juice
- If the taste is too bitter, add pineapple, orange, or banana
- Natural sweeteners like honey and pure maple syrup work great in smoothies
- Avocado can add creaminess to a smoothie, not to mention a load of nutrition
- The riper the banana, the sweeter the shake